Rob’s Winter Warmers: Beef Stew
29 Nov 22
If you’re anything like us, at this time of year, there’s nothing better than getting cosy on the couch, watching a film in front of a roaring fire and enjoying a hearty meal.
Why not try out Chef Rob’s recipe for a classic beef stew; perfect for keeping you warm on those chilly nights!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 800g stewing beef
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 shallots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 4 carrots
- 15g fresh thyme
- 4 ripe vine tomatoes
- 150ml red wine (optional)
- 500ml organic beef stock
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Dice the beef, then toss in a bowl with the flour, making sure the beef chunks are completely covered with the flour. Set to one side.
- Add a splash of oil to a large casserole pan, and place it over a medium heat. Add the beef, and cook for 5 minutes until the beef is browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic, then peel the shallots and halve them. Trim and roughly chop the celery, then peel, trim and chop the carrots into rounds (approx. 2cm).
- Add a little more oil into your pan, then add the prepared veg. Strip the leaves from the thyme and add to the pan, then cook for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Return the beef to the pan, then stir through the tomatoes and wine (if using). Once the liquid has been absorbed, add the beef stock, bay leaves and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with salt & pepper, then transfer the stew to the oven to cook for 3 to 4 hours, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily.
- Enjoy with your side and tipple of choice!