Rob’s Winter Warmers: French Onion Soup
21 Nov 22
The nights are getting longer, the weather is getting colder, and it’s about time for some comforting, hearty meals to warm your cockles! Development Chef, Rob, has shared with us his favourite recipe for French onion soup, so why not give it a go?
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry white wine
- 3L beef stock
- 4 large slices of baguette
- 140g gruyère, finely grated
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Sprinkle in the sugar, and cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until caramelised.
- Add the garlic cloves and cook for a few minutes more. Then, sprinkle in the plain flour and stir well.
- Turn the heat up a little, and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the beef stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Your soup is now done.
- Turn on the grill, and toast your baguette slices. Once toasted, top with the grated gruyere.
- Add your soup to serving bowls, and place the toasted baguette slices on top of each bowl.
Did you know you can make large batches of this soup using the Firex Cucimix? For more information, take a look here.